Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Most Glorious Time of the Year.....

PROM. A dreadful, cringeworthy topic. Aren’t you a girl? Shouldn't you love prom? Isn’t that the day you look forward to all year long? Spending over $500 on a dress, getting pampered all day with your hair and makeup done up???


Absolutely not.


If there were a bah humbug for prom season, I’m your girl. I guess I’m being a little dramatic. But don’t get me wrong, prom is just not for me. I’m all about feeling good about yourself and having a great night surrounded by great friends….but the stress and drama surrounding the season of prom I could definitely go without. Every year, there is some big scandal as to who is taking who to prom, or where everyone is getting pictures, or why is Bob sitting at Kendra’s table at dinner instead of Jessica’s???? It is just too much to keep up with….and don’t even get me started on the dresses. I’m sorry, but I am just not the type of girl who is into glitz and glam dresses, bejeweled and crystallized from neck to floor… it’s just not me. And what exactly is the point of spending more over $500 on ONE dress that you will be wearing for ONE night? Do you know how far $500 will get you purchasing far more other important things? I just think prom is hyped up so much more than it deserves to be. Sure, I mean I guess it's kinda worth the $100 ticket to see the kid in the back of your history class you hasn’t spoken a word all year bust a dance move out on the dance floor, but let's be honest… the food is always terrible and extremely disappointing, when have we ever been blessed with a good DJ, and what’s with the principle lurking over the dance floor watching you and your friend’s moves every second? For some girls, prom is the most memorable night of their whole high school career, but I really just think it’s a hyped up hoax that does not deserve the amount of attention it receives. It is pretty interesting to see everyone dressed up outside of school since we have been going to school with the same group of kids for almost 10 years now and I still rarely see any of them outside the school boundaries of our Industrial Park. Maybe I am being a little too harsh and critical, and maybe I should keep a more open mind about it, but every year I feel as though I get let down more and more. $500 for a dress? $100 ticket for soggy vegetables and chewy rubbery grilled chicken that causes my jaw to ache? Being watched like a hawk while you're dancing by the principle of your school? Listening to outdated music all night because we never hire the right DJ? I think I’m good.

How could I forget! Promposals…. The embarrassing cliche action of a male asking a female to prom in a cheesy, queasy way that makes everyone watching cringe in awkwardness. Wow! So cute! A boy bringing a girl a stuffed animal bear with a matching poster “I couldn’t BEAR prom without you…” How original and unique! Gotta love prom season, am I right...not.


1 comment:

  1. Oh come on! I'll be there yuckin' it up, so you've gotta see the fun in it all, and of course dancing is totally worth the price!

    ReplyDelete