Monday, November 7, 2016

Bye, Bye, IG!

With all this talk about multitasking, ideas have been swarming about the negative influence social media can impact a person with, in terms of wasting time. Don’t get me wrong, I think social media is a great innovative way of contacting with your friends and relatives that live across the US that you cannot normally communicate with. However, in this day and age, I felt as if a lot of my daily routine was spent checking and wasting valuable time of my day on these networks, where I could be utilizing this time in a more efficient and effective way. I mean, there are only so many hours in the day and I feel as if we must capitalize on every single moment possible to get work done. In today’s society, the fake reality created on instagram can cause one to solely focus on the image of how others view them. Knowing this and after reading the article in class of the man who went phoneless for a week, I decided to take the step of deleting my social media. So far, it has not only been extremely relieving and stress-free, but it has left me with lots of time to talk to my family one on one, instead of always looking down at my phone refreshing my feed on Instagram. However, there have been some negative aspects. A lot of my friends rely on social media to communicate with one another about what our plans are, or even what the homework for the night is. Without being able to communicate with them, I feel out of the loop in some circumstances. Overall, however, it has been extremely freeing and I am pleased I made the decision to do so.

1 comment: